Current version is 2.20.2. See ChangeLog
|If you want to install Links immediately, proceed step-by-step according to
the following instructions. Otherwise you will waste a lot of time.|
- Check you have the following programs and free-software libraries
installed on your system.
If you can't ensure usable versions of all necessary libraries be
installed, you have to compile Links with user-supplied libraries. Refer
to the file INSTALL in such a case.
- libpng different from
1.2.18. Required to run Links in graphics mode. On package-driven
distributions you will need libpng and libpng-dev(el). Libpng
1.2.18 is buggy and causes Links to crash with "png_do_rgb_to_gray found
nongray pixel". PATCH-libpng-1.2.18 inside links-*.tar.* allows fixing this
and using 1.2.18.
- IJG libjpeg If you want Links to display JPG pictures. On package-driven distributions
you will need libjpeg and libjpeg-dev(el).
- TIFF Library If you want Links to display TIFF images. On packaged-driven
distributions you will need libtiff and libtiff-dev(el).
- SVGAlib if you want to run Links unde SVGAlib. You must be able to compile programs under svgalib. On package-driven distributions, you may need svgalib and svgalib-devel
- XFree86 or other implementation
of Xlib if you want Links to display also under X. On package-driven
distribution you'll probably need xfree86 and xfree86-devel
- GPM if you want
to use mouse on text console or if you want to display graphics on
- tar and
bzip2 to be able to unpack
- zlib if you want Links to accept
gzip compression to speed up webpages. On package driven distributions also
- libbzip2 if you want Links to accept
bzip2 compression to speed up webpages. On package-driven distributions also
- xz if you want Links to be able to
decompress LZMA-compressed files.
- C compiler
- The make program
- Don't forget to run "ldconfig" if you have been installing some libraries :-)
- Download the source archive:
- Unpack the source archive: "tar xzvf links-2.20.2.tar.gz" or "tar xjvf links-2.20.2.tar.bz2" Change into the newly-created directory.
- Issue "./configure --help" and the run "./configure" with the parameters you want (probably --enable-graphics and maybe some more)
- After "configure" ends, check the table if you really get what you want
- Type "make". Ignore possible warning about tempnam function, links
code is correct.
- If you got a root access, log in as root and do "make install" in the same directory.
If you are installing Links as an ordinary user, place the "links" executable file that was
created by the "make" command into some suitable place possibly within your $PATH.
- If you haven't got a permanent Internet access, copy the whole subdirectory "doc/" into some
suitable place (/usr/share/, /usr/local/share/, or in your home...). Most
important is the "doc/links_cal/" subdirectory which contains
HTML documents (calibration.html in English and kalibrace.html in Czech) and pictuers
that are used for calibration.
- If you have an X Window System windowmanager and want to install a
Links icon into it, you will find a suitable 48x48 icon in
- Delete the archive and the source directory.
- If graphics mode is enabled, run "links -g doc/calibration.html" (or "links -g" and point
the browser to The
Calibration Procedure) and proceed with the calibration
of your monitor and Links
- Now you can use the browser. Run "links -g" if you want to
run in graphics and "links" if you want to run in text mode.
Links older than 2.6 contains some bugs that can result in writing out of
allocated memory if Links is running in graphics mode. This can be potentially
exploited to attack the computer.
If you use graphics mode you should upgrade to Links 2.6.
Primary archive with source codes of all versions
- OS/2 binaries (need EMX runtime)
- Windows binaries
- OpenVMS binaries
- DOS binaries (beta quality — there are stability problems)
- Thanks to Jakub Horky for these RPMs. However if you find something wrong with them don't ask us (Twibright Labs), but Jakub Horky directly: jakub [at] horky . net
Mikulas's mirror at Artax
- The calibration procedure
- User Manual (English HTML,
- Development documentation (Czech PDF,
imperfect Czech HTML)
- Amendment to the development documentation (Czech PDF,
- Internal development documentation (Czech HTML,
Czech/English HTML - only the part about adding fonts is translated into English)
- Project Documentation (English PDF,
- Appendix A to the project documentation (
- Implementation documentation (Czech HTML only)
- Links manual for the old, text version (English HTML)
These contributions are made by third parties and weren't validated or
approved by Twibright Labs. Nothing is guaranteed about quality of them.
DEBs (only old, text versions)
- http://links.twibright.com/download/rpm/ (lacks calibration pattern in /usr/share/links)
HTML written in VIM.
Graphics made with GIMP.
Powered with PNG.
Send comments to clock -=[at]=- twibright -=[dot]=- com